Received the following report from Denny W. who has been fishing the OG1 in local lakes for trout:
"Donn: Just wanted to let you know that your 2.44 inch fluorescent orange OG1 worked exceptionally well for me again over here on the west side. Got to fish for 5 hours before the wind blew me off the lake this morning. My little 8 foot pram can only take big waves so long and then I have to call it quits. I had a super morning tho. Had aproximately 31 fish on and managed to get 28 to the boat."
Denny: Thanks for the report!
(Attaching a pic of one of his 'bows below.)
When I was tying flies, there were times when subtle changes to a pattern would significantly improve the results. For example, using a brighter thread in the thorax of a dry fly, or, adding a strand of tinsel to the marabou tail of a leech or wooly bugger could double the hookups.
Yesterday, we had similar results from a subtle change to the color of the 2.8" OG1 perch-pattern. Rather than an olive-green paint, we applied a translucent dark-green. When we tested this lure in Lake Roosevelt, the results surprised us. The new translucent-green outfished all of the other OG1s combined. (And, we did fish the original olive-green at one point.)
Below are pics of the results. And, in one photo, you'll see the new lure and the old lure side-by-side: the new lure is in the foreground.
(Every rainbow in that cooler was caught on the new 2.8" OG1.)
Note that we'll only be selling the new color from this point forward on the store.
I'll try to keep the blog updated every so often: posting pictures submitted by customers, notes about recent tests, etc.